Two arrested on suspicion of murder after man dies in ‘altercation involving two cars’

A man and woman, aged in their 40s, were arrested after police were called to reports of an altercation involving the occupants of two cars in County Durham last Friday.

Police were called to reports of an altercation last Friday

Two people have been arrested on suspicion of murder after the death of a man in County Durham.

Police were called to reports of an altercation involving the occupants of a black Vauxhall Mokka and silver Hyundai Ioniq at a street junction in Hartlepool at around 2.10pm last Friday.

A 59-year-old man was treated by paramedics but sadly pronounced dead at the scene, Teeside Live reported.

Since, tributes have poured in for the man, with flowers being placed at the scene, naming the deceased as ‘Mark’. But police are yet to release a name

A man, aged in his 40s, and a woman, also in her 40s, were both arrested on suspicion of murder. The man was bailed and the woman released under investigation while inquiries are ongoing, said Cleveland Police.

A 59-year-old man was treated by paramedics but sadly pronounced dead at the scene


Google Maps)

Witnesses who saw the incident were left shocked and a local business owner said it “basically started with a bit of road rage.”

John Gibson, who owns Gibson’s Cut Price Furniture which faces directly out onto the junction said that it all begun when two vehicles bumped into one another.

He said he could see two men fighting and a couple of people, including one from the barber’s shop, tried to separate them.

He said that the man, who later died, got into his car and drove away from the incident.

John said: “I think he must have been waiting there to pick someone up, because he seems to have driven back round to the car park at the back.

“The next thing we knew there were police everywhere and we heard the man had died. It is really sad. There are loads of road rage incidents at that spot because people park on both sides of the road and it gets blocked.”

Another shop worker, who didn’t want to be named, said she knew nothing of the disturbance until suddenly they were surrounded by police cars and an ambulance.

She said: “All of a sudden there were just police cars everywhere. I didn’t know we had that many police in Hartlepool. They were parked right along the street.

“We didn’t know what had happened until we went outside and everyone was saying sadly someone had died.”

In a statement, the force wrote: “Police received a report of an altercation in the area of ​​York Road / Gainford Street in Hartlepool at around 2:10 pm on Friday 27th May.

“Paramedics gave medical treatment to a 59-year-old man, however, he was sadly pronounced dead at the scene. The man’s family are being supported by specially trained officers and our thoughts remain with them at this very difficult time.”

A North East Ambulance Service spokesperson told Teesside Live: “We received a 999 call at 14.15 on Friday to reports of a person unwell on York Road in Hartlepool – police were already at the scene.

“We sent a clinical team leader, a rapid response paramedic, an emergency ambulance crew and requested support from Great North Air Ambulance.”

Officers have launched an appeal for any witnesses or anyone who may have dashcam footage of the altercation to contact them on 101 quoting incident number 090023.


Leave a Comment