Hey, everybody! It’s me, Nicole Fallon-Peek, your host of the Woodstock-Towne Lake Daily – back in your inbox with everything you need to know about what’s happening in the community today. Keep reading for the latest.
First, today’s weather:
A t-storm around in the pm High: 99 Low: 74.
Here are the top 5 stories in Woodstock-Towne Lake today:
- A Woodstock man has been arrested after allegedly stabbing his aunt and uncle. 21-year-old J’dahkiz Brooks was charged by the Woodstock Police Department with two felony counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon for the incident that occurred on Jun. 9. Brooks remained in the Cherokee County jail with no bond as of Monday afternoon. (Cherokee Tribune Ledger News)
- The Woodstock City Council voted unanimously on Monday to finalize the 2023 fiscal year budget. The budget is set at $ 72.1 million and includes a three percent cost of living raise for all non-probationary city employees. It also eliminates a part-time municipal court warrant officer position that was created during the current fiscal year and was never filled. (Subscription: Cherokee Tribune Ledger News)
- Four people have been injured following a crane accident in Cherokee County. Officials say the accident occurred on Cumming Highway near Arbor Hill Road. Drivers were advised to avoid the area on Tuesday afternoon while segments of the roadway were shut down to facilitate emergency response. (FOX 5 Atlanta)
- One man is dead following a shooting involving undercover agents with the Cherokee Multi-Agency Narcotics Squad. Officials say they were tracking the man, who was suspected of trafficking heroin and fentanyl, around 7:30 pm on Monday when the suspect got into his car and rammed it into a patrol vehicle. Deputies reportedly opened fire on the suspect when he began driving toward the officers. He was taken to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital, where he died from his injuries. (WSB Atlanta)
- Looking for a new home? Patch and Redfin have teamed up to bring you the latest real estate listings in the Woodstock-Towne Lake area. See all the homes available for sale at the link, including a spacious five-bedroom listing on Copper Ridge Drive. (Woodstock-Towne Lake Patch)
Today in Woodstock-Towne Lake:
- Family Storytime At Woodstock Public Library (10:30 AM)
- Ribbon Cutting At Findlay Rowe Designs (4:30 PM)
- Real or Myth: Sea Creatures Adult Trivia Game At RT Jones Memorial Library (6:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- Want to learn about the historic preservation of family heirlooms and artifacts? Tanzy Ward will join the Cherokee County History Center next Tuesday, Jun. 21, at 7:00 pm for a talk at the Historic Rock Barn. Register for free today! (History Cherokee via Facebook)
- Join Findlay Rowe Designs Gift Shop & Boutique for a One-Year Anniversary Party at the Woodstock store! Festivities begin today at 4:30 pm and will continue until 6:00 pm (Downtown Woodstock via Instagram)
- “Super Hero Night” is tomorrow, Jun. 16, in Downtown Woodstock! Stop by between 5: 00-9: 00 pm for family-friendly, superhero-themed activities, including a trivia contest, hero training lessons, and a free movie. (Downtown Woodstock via Instagram)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
- Breast Ultrasound Screening Coming Direct to You! (June 17)
- Cherokee County Master Gardeners Summer Plant Sale (June 18)
- Aura Reading & Energy Check Up (June 18)
- Hire A Pro To Clean Up The Yard For Dad (June 19)
- Wellness Together Walk-Along At Cumberland Mall (June 21)
- Add your event
You’re all caught up for today! I’ll see you soon.
– Nicole Fallon-Peek
About me: Nicole Fallon-Peek is a journalist and copywriter with a degree in Media, Culture and Communication from New York University. She has served as a freelance reporter, managing editor, copy editor, and editorial director for a variety of B2B news outlets. She currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.